Friday, January 15, 2010

Has anyone brought their own tools to the salon for a pedicure?

I've heard this suggested before, but am wondering if people really do it. If you have, what exactly did you bring, and did the salon have any problem with this. I also heard that some salons wouldn't let you bring your own tools. Thanks!Has anyone brought their own tools to the salon for a pedicure?
As a nail tech, In my opinion on this is as follows: Yes, a lot of people have the idea that bringing in their own implements is a safe, and efficient way to ensure that sanitary implements are used on them. This makes sense when taken at face value. However, I do not know for a fact that a client who does this sort of thing has done anything to those implements in the way of sanitizing and disinfecting them. So, they may be bringing in the same dirty tools over and over again. Lets say the client had an infection, or a fungal problem at some point recently and that problem is either healed, or is on its way to being healed. By my using their implements - if they were not disinfected properly before she brought them in, there is a good chance that I would simply be reinfecting her by using implements that contained the infection, or fungi n them and is still alive and kicking. Obviously, this would defeat the whole purpose of bringing in oyur own implements. Plus, I run the risk of handling implements which are possibly contaminated and run the risk of those implements passing the germs onto my own body, thus creating an infection in myself. I am not willing to take that risk. The bottom line is this. ALways be absolutely certain the salon you choose strictly adheres to your states laws with regards to sanitation and disinfection. You can observe the tech, ask them about their procedures, and so on. You can also contact your states department of licensing and inquire if any complaints have been filed against that particular salon. However, they won't tell you over the phone in most circumstances. In many states, this information can be found online. It depends on the state. Each has its own way of doing things. But, the person you speak with should be able to tell you how to obtain detailed information about a particular salon, whether it be through records requests, or online. They will know, but let me tell you one thing about state government employees in general. Note: This is NOT true for ALL state employees. There are very good, and hard working employees in some of these jobs. However, in my experience, dealing with any state agency had proven to be a nightmare with few exceptions. Many employees simply don't want to be bothered, and try to do as little as possible through their workdays. For you, this means it may be difficult to get a straight answer from someone at the state boards. It depends on who answers the phone. You may get someone who will help you all you want and is professional and courteous the entire time. Then again, you may get the clerk with a pitchfork like the devil himself, LOL! But, you will never know unless you try...Has anyone brought their own tools to the salon for a pedicure?
I'm not sure, I have never brought my own tools in, but I've only had pedicures done a few times. I'm wondering why exactly someone would want to go to that trouble and what it was for...

No comments:

Post a Comment